Sunday, August 7, 2011

Florida-Style Paella!

I love Florida. I was born and raised here. I love the salt water and sunshine. The summers may be quite hot for a long time, but we get by, luckily with air conditioning. When I was very young, we got by with fans. And we went swimming to cool off. Luckily, I grew up right on the water. I think that is why I appreciate the salt water so much. While I don't live right on the water now, I'm not too far away from it. And whenever I do go to the coast, I close my eyes and breathe in the salty air, and it just fills my heart with joy! The water is absolute tranquility. I think it is in my blood.

Florida is home to all sorts of people. There are a lot of northerners, for sure. And they have brought their northerly influence. We appreciate new influences and experiences, even though some of them complain that the "NY Pizzas" aren't the same as in NY because of the water, and that is probably true; we have different water here, but we also have our own, local foods that are quite good.

There are the "southerners" like me. We cherish the deep south and the cooking of the south. Think sweet iced tea, fried chicken or fried catfish and biscuits. But Florida is also home to other cultures, like the Cuban culture. The Cuban culture is very prevalant in South Florida, but also has influence in mid-Florida, such as in Ybor City. I love Cuban food, with its use of garlic and lime....black beans and rice....and the ubiquitous "pressed cuban" sandwich...YUM! We have melded a lot of our foods into a "Florribean" theme based on Cuban and Carribbean influences. I think it is a wonderful, tropical melting-pot!


Florida definitely has a very big Spanish influence, too. After all, our state was named by the spanish explorer Juan Ponce de Leo'n: "La Florida", meaning "flowery land". I absolutely appreciate the spanish influence on our food. We have a myriad of choices! In honor of Florida's great culture, I made my idea of a "Florida Paella" for dinner...I just interpreted paella to fit with what I had on-hand and what I wanted it to be, which is what I think they do with their Paella in Spain.


I made my paella with chicken, chorizo, shrimp and cooked tuna (not out of a can; flaked from a tuna steak), short grain rice and other ingredients....if you want to recreate it, I'm providing directions under the "recipes" tab on this blog...but I have to tell you in advance that I am not one to stick to or know strict measurements. I'll describe them the best that I can, then I encourage you to "taste as you go" so it comes out exactly like YOU prefer!


I hope you will be inspired to make your own Florida-Style dinner! Preferably eat it alfresco....and think of the salty waves lapping at the shore on a balmy summer evening.


This meal would be great with a lovely white wine such as Sauvingon Blanc or even Pinot Grigio.

6 comments:

Jennsonthego said...

Okay--the one thing I miss about Florida is living on the water--in that little place my Grandma had. I love "going home" and taking in the Gulf Waters and the salty air. I may not have been born there--but it is so ingrained in my memory. Even my trip to FL last November--it was the first place we went--to the beach so I could just soak my feet in the water and breath in that air!!

As for Paella--I don't really like seafood. I do believe Sea Port Inn killed any desire I had left for Seafood. And I was never big on it to begin with, then that whole experience--well--ha ha--no more seafood for me. Otherwise--the rest of the ingredients sound good!! I'll take a glass of that Pinot Grigio too :)

Cheers, Jenn

Katwin2010 said...

Oh, Jenn, you were here quite long enough to be "Florridean" yourself! I know, once you get that salt water in your veins, you just can't forget. It is ALWAYS there. I so wish we were all here together, but hopefully someday soon we can all go to the beach together and take in the salty air and float in the salty waves!! ...As for Paella, it is so versatile that you can put ANYTHING you like in it!! In fact, I am certain that our old, southern "chicken n' yellow rice" is just another version of the Spanish paella! And all we added was the chicken (and the veggies and seasoings like saffron, to make the rice yellow). No need for seafood if you don't want! "Chicken n' Yellow Rice" is a much-loved, deep south food. And yes, Pinot Grigio is a GREAT match!! Thanks for your post, Jenn!! :)

Silver_lining77 said...

Kathy, another awesome post! You're right, we have so many influences from many cultures here which shows itself probably more so in our food than anything.

Katwin2010 said...

You're right, Ginny! And I forgot to mention Greek, too, how could I forget that?! I think we're pretty lucky to live here. Thanks for your comment! :)

Namajo51 said...

gets better as I keep reading, yes, being the melting pot of the world, america has been richly blessed by all the different foods brought over here by our ancesters and the immigrants who made America their home, every states has their special foods that originated by the settlers that made it their home, America is wonderful, and yes Florida sure has some of the greatest foods going, thanks for the great new blog, I added it to my favorites, and it is.

Katwin2010 said...

Thanks, Mom! My biggest fan! LOL. I agree, we are so fortunate to have such an abundance of cultures and foods. Thanks for reading my posts, I'm glad you made it one of your 'favorites'. :)

Post a Comment