Friday, August 5, 2011

My Instinct to Cook....

This is my FIRST post for my brand new blog! I wasn't sure how to 'kick it off', but it was pretty easy to decide my first post once I read the week's topc for the GBE 2 writing group. The topic is "Instinct". It came to me rather quickly that I should blog on one of my strongest compulsions, my "instinct" to cook. Like so many people, I grew up in a family where food was an expression of comfort and love.

I can remember my mother making homemade doughnuts, fresh from the fryer! And we all loved her peanut butter cookies...the first batch would be scarfed down, hot from the oven, before the second batch even made it out of the oven! My mother made these things called "Pasties"...I really hadn't heard of them or seen them elsewhere down South where we lived, but I later learned that is because they are a scrumptious, Midwestern food that my mother brought with her from growing up in Michigan. The folded-over "pies" were filled with beef and potatoes and other good things! They were a lot of work, but they were good! And all these years, to this day, Mom has kept us mesmerized by her wonderful "knot" rolls! Everytime she asks what she can bring to a gathering, before she can finish asking, we blurt out, "Knot rolls!"









I have many food memories from my childhood. One of the fondest things I can remember were family Sunday dinners. Those don't seem to happen so much anymore in our society today, but I'd love to start them up again at my house for my family & friends! And I plan to do so soon.

I can remember being dressed up for Church and Sunday School and going to my grandparent's church on Tarpon Avenue in Tarpon Springs. After we'd congregate at my grandparent's house. It was an older house that had window air conditioners. I can remember us sitting in the chilled-down living room, the window air blasting away, and we'd all be talking/playing games. A quilt was hung in the doorway between the living room and kitchen to block the heat of the kitchen. Sometimes we'd venture past the quilt into the HOT kitchen, and Gran would be slaving away, cooking us a big, home-cooked meal.

When we had chicken or turkey, my cousin Missy and I would fight over the skin...that is one of the best parts, you know! And I absolutely LOVED Gran's mashed potatoes...all the food was good....the banana pudding and peach cobbler. YUM!! I've thought about those days long past when the family got together, and I thought about how we went to church then for sunday dinner after, and it made me think of the old hymns we used to sing in church. "In the Garden" is one of my Mom's favorites, and mine, too.

The love of (and instinct for) cooking was instilled in me long ago. When my sister and I were young we tried some adventures in cooking and baking. One time we set out to make a cake (without checking the ingredients list first). Once we started going down the list, we realized we did not have all the ingredients. At that point we decided to "veer off" into our own, creative direction! We were adding stuff, and then we thought that we'd like to have a pretty, blue cake (like an azure blue), so we added blue food coloring...the batter sure was pretty! But then we continued adding ingredients. At some point we added grape jelly...it sounded like a good addition, but it had a profound effect on the coloring of our lovely cake. The batter turned to an atrocious green. Yikes! We thought it might look better after baking.

Out of the oven the cake turned a near flourescent green! It was hilarious!! Once the cake cooled we decided since the cake was so obnoxiously green, we'd go ahead and do a flamboyant frosting...so we frosted it red. We presented the cake to our parents for dinner. Mom cut into it and started singing Christmas carols and Dad put us on "kitchen probation" (supervised cooking), as he explained that food was supposed to "look appealing" as well as taste good. LOL! So those were the beginnings of my adventures in cooking. Nothing has been able to tame my strong instinct to cook, and I just pick up more steam as I go along..... And in true form I have served hot pink beet risotto alongside bright green broccoli with a steak. Sometimes I never learn! LOL

28 comments:

Jenn said...

What a great trip down memory lane--you know--I can just hear your Dad saying that too--about the kitchen probation!! LOL. You have wonderful memories and you have wonderful cooking instincts!! Great Post!! Cheers, JENN

Jo Heroux said...

Kathy, I can so identify with the "adding ingredients" part...I still do that! I usually follow a new recipe exactly once and then decide what it needed after tasting! I almost always change the original to suit my tastes and to make it MINE. Love sharing your instinct to cook. I really do SHARE that. Great post. C:

Beth said...

I already know that I'm going to love this new blog of yours! This was terrific.

We had pasties, too. SO good! So many foods from my childhood bring back wonderful memories: bread pudding, chicken & dumplings, sky-high blueberry pie, apple brown betty. Oh my gosh, I'm hungry now--for a good meal and a gathering of my nearest and dearest.

Claudia said...

Lovely approach to instinct, cooking :)

Angela Parson Myers said...

OK, now I'm hungry. I'm really not much of a cook, but I help out the good cooks by being an eater. : - ) Interestingly, most of the foods I remember fondly from my childhood were the simple ones: ham hocks and beans, vegetable soup, deep fried fish.... Or some of the things my father liked to make: peanut butter fudge, vinegar taffy, homemade ice cream...

Katie Andrews said...

I don't eat to live: I live to eat! :) This post makes the foodie in me very happy


gbe: instinct (kate escape)

Robin said...

I agree. Your post made me hungry. I am craving fried chicken right now

Laura Rogers said...

I am a foodie and also love to cook. Dinners were fun at my house. If we laughed at the table my dad would flick our heads and then all five of us kids would blurt out in full laughter. My dad would then laugh AND just give up.

Wendy Wilkins V. said...

I can so relate to this, other than my instinct for cooking is more for eating and collecting recipes that sound wonderful but I never make. Food was important to my family as well. My mother loved cooking and loved talking about food. I got the "talking" part down pat, but the cooking part skipped me and went to my kids. But, I understand completely!

Kathy said...

Your post reminded me that my mom never really taught me "how" to cook. She was a fabulous cook, but she would never let me touch anything in her kitchen. She sat me on a stool and told me to pay attention and watch. Amazingly enough, when she became deathly ill and I was forced to cook for us both, I knew how...and I did it well. I always tell my daughter that if you can read and taste you can cook. It does take a bit of instinct to know just what to add in the mix if you are creating, or making it your own from a recipe as a guide. I do a lot of that improvising and making it my own, and I suppose that comes from instincts. Well written and engaging blog!

Kathy
http://www.thetruckerswife.com/

Katwin2010 said...

Thanks, Jenn! Yeah, you grew up with me so you're part of our family, too! It was a trip down memory lane for me, too, writing this...it just started flowing once I began. I am blessed with many wonderful memories! Thanks so much, Jenn! :) Kathy

Katwin2010 said...

Thanks so much! LOL, you do sound just like me, I always adjust recipes, too! Many times if I don't have the same ingredients I improvise/substitute...and I rarely measure in my cooking (in baking I have to be more precise, but cooking provides much freedom of expression! LOL). You sound like a foodie, just like me. :)

Katwin2010 said...

Thank you so much! ...Since food is one of my biggest interests, I often incorporate it into much of my writing (and so named my blog after it...LOL!). Glad you like it. I think the foods from our childhood really strike a chord down deep with us. Recently after my grandmother's funeral, the family gathered for a meal...we all pitched in. I decided right away that I was bringing Peach Cobbler...I hadn't had that in years, but it was one of my Gran's best desserts. I think that was the first time I ever made it, thankfully it turned out good....eating it took me right back to the past! ....All those foods you listed sounded SOOO GOOD!! I'm even more tempted to put together a family dinner even sooner now. Thanks for your comment! :)

Katwin2010 said...

Thanks so much....yes, I guess the first thing that always comes to me is FOOD! I am a foodie at heart. Glad you're following my new blog...thanks for your comment! :)

Katwin2010 said...

Yum, all those foods you listed sound so GOOD! Homemade ice cream is the BEST, and I absolutely LOVE fried fish, especially fried catfish!! With some lemon wedges and grits, that is the BEST! ....You know, even if you're not into cooking all that much, without the "eaters", there'd be no point! Since it is just my husband and I, at times when he's been away from home for a few days, I don't cook at ALL!! I lose interest and usually just do something quick, like make a "cheese sandwich" with a slice of American cheese between bread. I thought about that awhile ago....cooks don't cook for themselves, we cook for the "eaters" in our lives. We'd never go through the effort for just us, it is the enjoyment of others that is the reward. So 'eat up!' ...Thanks so much for your comment :)

Katwin2010 said...

That sounds like my kind of motto!! Food is a big thing for me, after all. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, I hope you'll follow my new blog. Since food is one of my main interests in life, that is pretty much what my blog is mostly centered around...so I am hoping that all the foodies out there will enjoy it! :)

Katwin2010 said...

YUM! I could go for some fried chicken myself! And some biscuits!! I'm glad you liked the post. Hopefully you'll stop by my blog and check it out when you have a chance...I'll mostly be writing about food and related topics. Thanks for your comment! :)

Katwin2010 said...

Hi, Laura! Another foodie and fellow cook! Glad you checked out my post, I hope you can stop by from time to time and see what's new with my blog...it'll mostly be about food, of course (LOL). ....That is too funny about your Dad trying to keep you kids in line at the table by flicking your heads, then giving up and joining in on the laughter! I guess Dad's have to at least TRY to keep some order at the dinner table. Our Dad was always really cool, we never really were on any sort of "probation" after that. I think he was trying to make a point that food wasn't a joke and you shouldn't go out of your way to make it gross. LOL! It was all very funny. These are all the fun memories I cherish. Thanks so much for your comment! :)

Katwin2010 said...

Hi, Wendy! I'm glad this struck a chord with you, too. That is OK that you're not big into cooking, more into eating (and collecting recipes)...like I told Angela, without the "eaters" in our lives, there'd be no point to us cooking, 'cause we don't cook for ourselves! ...I think food memories from our childhood really stay with us forever. It sounds like you've had generations of such memories in your family! I'm glad you read my post and hope you can stop by from time to time to check out what's new with my blog. Thanks for your comment! :)

Katwin2010 said...

Thanks, so much, Kathy! It sounds like you completely understand about the "instinct" for cooking that I'm talking about. Because you watched your mother do it and learned, it was "ingrained" in you early on. You are so right, as long as someone can read and taste, they CAN cook! I think it just takes that 'spark' of interest and desire to learn. Thank you so much for reading, I hope you can stop by from time to time and check out what's going on with my new blog. Thanks for your comment! :)

Silver_lining77 said...

Kathy! I loved it!!! Keep up the good work! I'm proud of my big sis! =-)

Katwin2010 said...

Thanks, 'Sis! I'm glad you liked it and are following my new blog. I appreciate it! :)

Mojo Writin said...

Oh I can so identify with the instinct to cook. I cook every day. I cook way too much, but I'd feel terrible if someone came through my door and there wasn't some kind of freshly-baked cookie or cake available to eat. People have given up on me... They know and now accept that they WILL get fed when they come to my house! I think it may be a throwback to when I was young and food was not very often present. Now I overcompensate... but who cares? I love food and I love to feed people *wink*

Namajo51 said...

Kathy, you and Sandy adding things to your recipes is really created and you get it honestly. Ginny laughs at me all the time because when we cook a meal, like an international meal night, if I don't like an ingredient I'll replace it with something else. Ginny says, just stick to the recipe mom, and she has a point a lot of the times, "can you teach a old dog new tricks"

Katwin2010 said...

LOL! It took me a minute to realize that was YOU, Mom, didn't recognize the posting name! lol. But once I started reading I realized. LOL, Mom, I do take after you because I substitute ALL the time! That way you put your own, creative stamp on it. I don't think you and I will ever stop doing that...and why should we? And I don't think I've ever tasted anything bad that came out of your kitchen!

Katwin2010 said...

You know what, I think that is GREAT that you like to cook and bake so much and feed everyone who comes to through your door! I'm sure they love it, too! I'm with you...I'm not organized enough to always have food ready, but I do LOVE to cook A LOT...I always make more food than we could possibly eat. I think overcompensating is just fine, and I'm sure your friends and family appreciate it! Thanks for your comment. :)

Alison said...

This was an awesome entry. I love your layout, and as a wine fan, I'll be following you closely! Welcome to the group!

http://web.mac.com/alisonwise/Ad_Meliora_Vertamur/Home/Home.html

Katwin2010 said...

Thanks, Alison! I'm glad to hear you'll be following my blog, too, that is great! Thanks so much for your comment and welcoming me to the group. :)

Post a Comment